skip navigation
Spirits Basketball Club

Club Update

By Sherry Rivers, 09/09/20, 8:45AM EDT


Message to our Spirits Families

To our Spirits Families, 

We hope that your children are transitioning back to school well whether in person or online. I know there are so many emotions surrounding these decisions. Usually this time of year means tryouts would be a week or two away and we would be gearing up for another year of development and making memories. We wanted to give families an update as to what that currently looks like.

At this point, as with many things in our community right now, there are uncertainties. As it stands, we cannot book gym times. The Hastings and Prince Edward District School Board (HPEDSB) has informed us that they will reevaluate the potential for bookings at the beginning of November. When bookings become available we will schedule tryouts and get rolling with whatever season is possible. 

OBL has stated, “Any advancement to OBL league play will, of course, be contingent on the Ontario Government’s removal of current restrictions that are in place as health and safety measures. At such time as we are able to proceed into Phase 4 and beyond into Phase 5 of Return to Play further announcements on the OBL season will be forthcoming. The decision to postpone the upcoming season was not made lightly. The health and safety of our members are of utmost importance and a competitive start date prior to January 2021 appears to pose too many risks in relation to the contraction and spread of COVID-19.”

We are eager to get our Spirits athletes and families into the gym and playing the sport they love. This will indefinitely look different from the norm we are used to, but we are hopeful to have players into the gym as quickly as is possible and safe. We hope everyone is happy and healthy.

Go Raptors!